flashrd creates OpenBSD images tailored for embedded hardware devices and for executing from a virtualized environment.
flashrd installs a complete OpenBSD system with "one-touch" upgrade capability.
It boots from a ramdisk to make in-place upgrades easy and complete. flashrd partitions default to read-only operation, to minimize flash wear.
Do you like using OpenBSD? Do you want to continue to get high-quality releases? Buy official CDs or donate directly to the project. Users like you provide primary funding to the project.
- Frequently Asked Questions (and then some)
- Installation instruction [English] [Italiano] and image installation instruction [English] [Italiano]
- GitHub source repository, wiki, issue tracker
- Mailing list for flashrd (List archive)
- Disk images (latest OpenBSD 5.4-current 2013/10/22) generated by flashrd (these are fully ready binary images)
- Audio: BSDTalk 229 and PLUG 3/19/13 Slides: PLUG 3/19/13
- flashrd-1.4.tar.gz (for OpenBSD 5.4, 5.4-current)
- flashrd-1.3.tar.gz (for OpenBSD 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3)
- 1.4 release notes
- Script cleanup and bugfixes from Andrew Fresh <email@example.com>
- Keyboard encoding support in cfgflashrd by William-os4y <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- flashrd builder from by Paul Suh <email@example.com>
- A series of scripts to allow easy deployment of new systems and upgrades across multiple boxes
- Minor fixes and enhancements for OpenBSD 5.4 release
- Remove the need for amd64_include_pmap_h.diff as OpenBSD 5.4 defaults to NKL2_KIMG_ENTRIES=16
- The mktemp command now requires a template with at least six random characters, satisfy it
- 1.3 release notes
- Easier "in-place" upgrades to new images, using onetime.tgz. Now just add one line to your rc.conf.local, rc.local and/or rc.shutdown files that get unpacked from onetime.tgz. No hand-merging of any flashrd bootstrap or shutdown code during upgrade.
- Consolidation of vardirs/tardirs variables and better explanation (built-in to rc.flashrd.sub) of what goes where.
- 1.2 release notes
- From Fred C <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Quite a bit of ksh script cleanup in several areas, see github history and diffs for full details
- Real option handling improves previous hack-job, allows options out-of-order in flashrd and cfgflashrd
- Ability to use TMPDIR base so temp files can be put somewhere other than /tmp
- Move onetime.tgz to its own /etc/rc script, so that onetime.tgz can update /etc/rc.conf.local itself
- A fix and cfgflashrd additions by Paul Suh <email@example.com>
- Keep output for last run command in a file that can be viewed, instead of sending to /dev/null
- Clean up flashrd script output some
- If TMPDIR defined, make a directory for all tmp files within TMPDIR
- Let /etc auto-size instead of using a minimum 50MB
- to use this on OpenBSD/amd64 (5.0 - 5.3), you must apply a simple patch to /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/include/pmap.h before running flashrd (or use a pre-built disk image)
- Release notes for older versions of flashrd
- flashrd-1.3.tar.gz package contents description
- nsh: command line interface for OpenBSD routers